We often think of vegetables as the leafy green “tops” of plants. Kale, spinach, broccoli…it’s easy to think veggies need to be a super green to be super healthy, but that’s just not true!
Many popular (and healthy!) vegetables come from the roots of plants. Hidden away in nutrient dense soil, root vegetables are packed with vitamins and minerals and are a healthy source of fiber. Think of carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes – the stars of our Root Fusion vegetable medley.
Why Root Vegetables Rock
Many root vegetables are known for their concentrations of vitamin C, B and A as well as their level of health-promoting antioxidants. These vitamins help the body’s immune system by reducing inflammation that can contribute to chronic illness such as cancer and heart disease.
Beta-carotene is also found in high quantities in many root vegetables and is a powerful contributor to combating inflammation as well as protecting our skin and eyes from free radical damage.
In addition to all the health benefits root vegetables bring, they are also extremely versatile in the kitchen, and many can be prepared in a myriad of ways – whether baked, sauteed, steamed, stir-fried, and roasted (our favorite!). If you’re feeling adventurous, you might even try juicing your favorite root vegetable. There are so many tasty ways to prepare root vegetables, it’s easy to add them to every meal of the day – breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Health Benefits of Popular Root Vegetables
Want to know more about why our favorite root vegetables pack such a nutrition, delicious punch? Read on for more information on why carrots, sweet potatoes, and beets should be the star of your #ThinkVeggiesFirst plate.
Health Benefits of Carrots:
Top reasons we love carrots…they’re not just rabbit food!
- Looking to keep your eyes healthy and prevent glaucoma and cataracts? Eat carrots! In addition to helping your eyes, these popular veggies can also help prevent colon cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- One cup of carrots gives you more than the daily requirement of vitamin A, and they are also packed with vitamin C, B, K, E, manganese, and potassium.
- A carrot’s orange color comes from carotenoids and antioxidant known for contributing to healthy eyes and skin.
Get your daily dose of carrots in Tommy’s Seasoned Vegetable Medley. You’ll love to pair this veggie combo with lunch, dinner or even your morning omelet! Want to know more about the health benefits of carrots? Check out this infographic.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
Orange or purple, sweet potatoes add a lot of magic to any plate:
- Even though they’re called “sweet,” these potatoes help your body to maintain correct blood sugar levels and are lower on the glycemic index than traditional white potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C and B as well as copper, manganese, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Sweet potatoes offer the body one of the best sources of vitamin A.
- Sweet potatoes are high in fiber.
Enjoy the natural flavor of sweet potatoes in Tommy’s Seasoned Organic Sweet Potatoes. They’re delicious with your meal, or as a healthy snack for those times when you’re craving french fries!
Health Benefits of Beets
When it comes to root vegetables, beets really steal the show.
- Beets are especially good for helping to keep the nervous system and eyes healthy as well as preventing heart disease and cancer.
- Beets are packed with vitamins and minerals like folate, iron, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins C and B6.
- Research has begun to show that beets can enhance athletic performance and assist with recovery from exercise. Beets contain nitrates, which is essential for muscle recovery, circulation, and physical activity.
- Beets also naturally detoxify the body, helping to keep you at peak energy and performance levels.
Forget the unseasoned or overcooked version your mom served you, beets done right are super tasty, and with Tommy’s Root Fusion, the beets on your plate will be perfect each time. Our flash-frozen root veggie combo features a touch of Fuji apple for a burst of sweetness that you’ll find delicious and addictive.
Enjoy Your Favorite Root Vegetables All At Once
Need to spice up your next meal with a delicious blend on super healthy, super easy to cook root vegetables? Grab a bag of Tommy’s Root Fusion, a medley of carrots, sweet potatoes, and beets. When you’re looking for the vegetable combination that provides all the nutritional benefits of root vegetables, this is it!
Not only are our seasoned vegetable medleys healthy and delicious, they’re also easy to prepare. Keep a bag (or two…or 10!) in your freezer, and you can have a tasty, root veggie filled meal in minutes, no peeling, slicing, or spicing needed.
There’s no better way to “beet” healthy eating than a plate full of perfectly seasoned root vegetables.