There’s been a lot of talk recently about the Mediterranean diet. Even voted 2018’s best diet, eating Mediterranean has been shown to provide a lot of health benefits. Even better, it’s easy to follow, giving you lots of options for healthy meals without cutting calories or tasty foods!
This seems too good to be true! Can the Mediterranean diet really be this good, and also good for you? Studies say yes!
Following a Mediterranean diet can give you a long list of healthy and tasty choices to choose from. This means no more crash dieting or stress about calories! It’s all about eating whole foods, which we’re all about at Tommy’s Superfoods. Here are some of the tips and tidbits we’ve gathered on eating and enjoying Mediterranean:
How to Eat a Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean diet is built on a lot of plant-based foods and lean proteins. These foods are high in fiber and healthy fats, which will keep you feeling full and cut down on cravings.
- Vegetables, like spinach, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and Brussels sprouts
- Fruits, apples, bananas, oranges, and strawberries
- Nuts, like almonds, walnuts, and cashews
- Tubers, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams
- Legumes, like beans, peanuts, peas, lentils, and chickpeas
- Whole grains, like quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal, and barley
- Lean proteins, like chicken, fish, and seafood
- Herbs and Spices, like garlic, basil, sage, and pepper
Eat & drink in moderation:
- Eggs, cheese, and yogurt
- Coffee, tea, and red wine
Foods to avoid:
- Refined grains like in white bread
- Foods high in sugar like soda, candy, and juices
Of course any diet will vary from person to person, but the Mediterranean diet allows for so many foods, the options are endless! The key is to eat whole foods and plant-based meals, and cut down on animal foods. To ensure that you’re getting the best food possible, make sure to read nutrition labels carefully at the store!
Why the Mediterranean Diet is Healthy
Following a Mediterranean diet provides a long list of health benefits for a long and happy life! Here are some that we’re especially excited about:
It’s heart healthy.
Because Mediterranean diet foods are low in processed foods and sugars and high in healthy fats, this can help reduce the risk of heart disease. This will keep you and your heart happy and healthy for years to come!
It protects against disease.
Not only can following a Mediterranean diet help your heart, but it can help the rest of your body too. The diet is loaded with anti-inflammatory foods that can help prevent and treat diseases like type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. It also helps control insulin so that the body can burn fat more easily and efficiently. These healthy fats and anti-inflammatory foods can help with cognitive disease too, like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, and can help prevent dementia.
It fills you up.
Eating the foods of a Mediterranean diet can give you nutrients to keep you feeling full longer. Whole grains especially provide high fiber, which keeps you going from meal to meal. But even if you need a snack, Mediterranean diet snacks are better for you than those made from foods on the “avoid” list, and they cut down on cravings (and calories!) between meals.
It keeps you happy!
The foods in the Mediterranean diet are high in monounsaturated fat, which can lower levels of depression. The diet also encourages people to spend time in nature, exercise, and spend time making and eating meals with other people! This lifestyle can help you de-stress and enjoy cooking again!
Eating Mediterranean with Tommy’s
The Mediterranean diet can seem a little overwhelming, especially if you’re new to #adulting and figuring out what’s healthy. But because this diet is so versatile, it allows you to get creative and make something that you’ll love!
Our products here at Tommy’s can help you get into the Mediterranean diet.
These products, above, and, in fact, all Tommy’s Superfoods seasoned vegetable medleys are ideal for taking a center-of-the-plate roll in Mediterranean diet approved meals.
If you’re not sure where to start, here are some ideas for using our easy-to-prepare flash frozen veggies:
- Plan meals with our Fiesta Quinoa to pump up your whole grain intake.
- Eat more leafy greens, like spinach and kale, part of our Super Greens.
- Eat more non-starchy vegetables like cauliflower, available in both our Cauliflower and Green beans & our Organic Cauliflower and Green Beans .
- Get some tubers with our Root Fusion & Southwest Sweet Potatoes.
- And of course, eat your veggies! We’ve got all the superstars in our Vegetable Medley, Super Greens, Broccoli Remix, Brussels Sprouts, Organic Brussels Sprouts, & Asparagus and Kale.
Have you tried using Tommy’s in your Mediterranean diet? Leave us a comment and let us know how!