If you’re like most people, you’ve probably wondered what exactly the “Non-GMO Project Verified” logo on many natural food products (including our own) actually means. How does The Non-GMO Project, the only third party verification system in North America for labeling products free of genetically modified organisms, administer certification?
What It Means to Have Non-GMO Certification
The “Non-GMO Project Verified” certification seal shows to consumers that the product has gone through a stringent verification process. This process insures that an individual food item or food product has been produced according to best practices for avoiding GMOs. The core requirements for this certification involve the ability to track, segregate, and test high-risk ingredients at critical points of the food production process.
The Non-GMO Project requires the following verification steps to achieve their certification:
- On-going testing of all ingredients that are at a high-risk for GMO contamination. These ingredients include crops such as Alfalfa, Canola, Corn, Soybean, and many others.
- The removal of all GMOs from food is the goal for all Non-GMO Project verified products. To achieve verification, any food item or product must contain less than 0.9% GMOs and the producing company must commit to continuously improving their production practices to work toward reaching the GMO elimination goal.
- After verification testing, producing companies must follow rigorous ingredient tracking and segregation practices. This helps to prevent GMO contamination and ensures ingredient integrity throughout the production and packaging process.
- Companies who achieve verification are required to participate in an annual audit, along with routine onsite inspections for all high-risk ingredients used in their products.
All Tommy’s Superfoods Products are Non-GMO Certified
When we were seeking to have our Tommy’s Superfoods products Non-GMO Project Verified, there were several steps we had to take. Because we take your health, and our food, seriously, it’s important for us to be transparent and let you know what the process involves.
- First contact: We started our process by filling out the Non-GMO Project’s Verification Inquiry Form and they sent us detailed instructions for all of the information we would need to provide as well as the steps involved in verification.
- Selecting a third-party technical administrator: The Non-GMO Project provides a list of technical administrators who conduct the testing. These outside evaluators worked with us to complete the product evaluation process.
- Undertake the product evaluation: This evaluation involved all of our ingredients as well as our systems for tracking where ingredients were purchased from, where and how they are stored, and where and how they are packaged. We submitted all required documents to our technical administrator including ingredient statements, certificates of analysis, and standard operating procedures at the processing facility.
- We passed! When Tommy’s Superfoods passed the non-GMO verification process, we then signed a licensing agreement with The Non-GMO Project so that we could use their name and verification mark on our bags of frozen vegetable medleys. This seal ensures that the food you are buying meets not only The Non-GMO Project’s stringent standards for eliminating genetically modified organisms, but also yours!
At Tommy’s Superfoods, we’re proud that all of our products, including our USDA Organic Super Greens and Sweet Potatoes, meet the standards imposed by The Non-GMO Verification Project. Not only do they taste great, but you can feel good about serving the healthiest frozen vegetables possible to yourself and your family. Enjoy!