This cornbread recipe may not have any of our veggies in it, but it’s still one of our favorites. It’s perfect with our Super Hoppin’ John, but also makes a tasty accompaniment for any veggie-filled dinner…and the Tommy’s Superfoods team has been known to eat this cornbread as an afternoon snack, warmed with butter. Homemade cornbread is a great way to make any meal feel spruced up – and it’s quick and easy to mix and bake, no box mix required!
- 1 2/3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 2/3 cups Yellow Cornmeal
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 2/3 cup Milk
- 4 Large Eggs
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar
- ½ cup Scallions, sliced
- ½ cup Pickled Jalapenos, chopped (may substitute fresh)
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cuisine Type: Southern
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well to combine. In a separate container, stir together the milk and eggs.
- Add the milk mixture all at once to the dry ingredients, mixing with a paddle attachment until a batter is formed, about 3 minutes.
- Gently fold in the butter, cheddar, scallions, and pickled jalapenos. Transfer the finished batter to two greased 9” pie plates.
- Bake at 375F until fully cooked with lightly browned edges, about 30 minutes.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Pair with hearty soups, such as our Super Hoppin’ John, or any meal you like.