Transport yourself to the Greek Islands with our Super Greens Spanakopita. It will quickly become a most requested recipe in your house! And if you’ve had difficulty getting your kids to eat spinach, this is a great way to get them asking for more. Made with Tommy’s Super Greens, a blend of spinach, kale and Swiss chard, this is a tasty and healthy way to eat your veggies!
Super Greens Spanakopita
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 (10 0z) bags frozen Tommy’s Super Greens, defrosted
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- plain, dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese (12 oz)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 24 sheets frozen phyllo dough, defrosted
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted (1/4 pound)
Prep Time: 60 minutes
This Recipe is: Vegetarian
Cuisine Type: Mediterranean
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan, add the onion and cook for 7 minutes until onion begins to brown slightly and soften. Gently squeeze most of the water out of the defrosted Super Greens and place in a large bowl.
- When the onion is done, add it to the Super Greens. Mix in eggs, Parmesan cheese, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Gently fold in the feta and pine nuts, if using.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough flat on a work surface with the long end in front of you. Brush the dough lightly with butter and sprinkle it with a teaspoon of bread crumbs. Working quickly, slide another sheet of phyllo dough on top of the first, brush it with butter, and sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs, using just enough so the layers of of phyllo don’t stick together. Pile 4 layers total on top of each other, brushing each with butter, and sprinkle each lightly with bread crumbs. Cut the sheets of phyllo in half lengthwise.
- Place 1/4-1/3 cup Super Greens filling on the shorter end and roll the phyllo up diagonally as if folding a flag. Then fold the triangle of phyllo over straight and then diagonally again. Continue folding this way until you reach the end of the sheet. The filling should be totally enclosed. Continue assembling phyllo layers and folding the filling until all of the filling is used. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, seam sides down. Brush with melted butter, and bake for 30-35 minutes, until phyllo is browned and crisp.