If you’d like a healthier and easier version of the traditional fried rice, try swapping out the rice for quinoa in this easy quinoa fried “rice” recipe! It’s super flavorful and delicious, and only takes about 10 minutes to make. It cooks in one skillet so there’s minimal clean-up and since you will be using Tommy’s veggies, there’s no washing, peeling or chopping required! Use either Tommy’s Asian Fusion (shown) or our Veggie Medley for a tasty,healthy, easy fried quinoa “rice”. This is a crave-worthy recipe you will want to make weekly.
Quinoa is gluten-free, and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids making it a perfect protein. It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants. It contains 3 to 4 times more nutrients than brown rice.
Tommy’s Quinoa Fried “Rice”
- 3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 bag of either Tommy’s Asian Fusion (shown) or Veggie Medley
- 3 cups of cooked and chilled quinoa (approx. 1 cup uncooked)
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- Cilantro leaves or thinly slice scallions for garnish
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil (or butter) in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Add egg, and cook, stirring until scrambled and just done. Remove egg, and transfer to a separate dish.
- Add additional tablespoon of olive oil to skillet and add one bag of Tommy’s Asian Fusion or Veggie Medley. Cook according to package instructions.
- In same skillet with the cooked veggies, increase heat to high, add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, and immediately add the cooked quinoa and soy sauce and stir until combined. Continue stirring for an additional 3 – 5 minutes to fry the quinoa until it begins to brown. Remove from heat, add in the eggs and stir to combine.
- Top with cilantro or scallions and serve immediately.