This vegan dinner is easy to make, and packs plenty of nutrients without skimping on great flavors and textures. Get ready to enjoy crisp, seared marinated tofu, stir fried Tommy’s Vegetable Medley, and steamed rice with a wonderful teriyaki-style sauce. Is tofu not your thing? Carnivores can substitute chicken breast or pork loin in place of the tofu
Vegetarian Grilled Tofu with Tommy’s Vegetable Medley Stir Fry & Basmati Rice
- 2 Containers Extra Firm Tofu, Drained and Patted Dry
- 2 Bags Tommy’s Seasoned Vegetable Medley, Frozen
- 1 Cup Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Mirin (Japanese Rice Wine)
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Fresh Ginger, Peeled & Minced
- ½ Cup Fresh Scallion, Sliced
- 1 Tsp Fresh Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
Servings: 5 servings
Prep Time: 45-60 minutes + 4 hours rest time
Cuisine Type: Asian
- ( 4 Hours Before Grilling ) Combine light soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil into a bowl and whisk to combine. The sesame oil will separate and that is okay! Slice extra firm tofu into ½ inch thick slices, approximately 4-5 slices per block, and place the tofu into the marinade. Allow to sit for at least 4 hours before proceeding to the next step.
- Pre-heat your indoor or outdoor grill to a very high temperature. Traditional outdoor grills will need to be thoroughly brushed and lightly oiled, or the tofu will stick.
- While your grill is preheating, place 1 ¾ cup water in a 1 Qt sauce pan and bring to a vigorous boil. Add the jasmine rice, reduce heat to low, cover, and stir once. Allow the rice to cook on low for 20 minutes – We recommend setting a timer.
- Your grill should be preheated. Gently remove the tofu from the marinade, shaking off any excess liquid, and place the tofu gently on the grill. Do not press the tofu down with your spatula or tongs. Allow the tofu to grill for 5 – 8 minutes per side, depending upon the heat of your grill.
- Once the tofu is on the grill, place the remaining marinade and the sugar in a wide sauce pan and allow it to reduce over medium heat until it reaches medium thickness (i.e. Maple Syrup).
- Remove the finished tofu from the grill and place into a warm oven or warming drawer before proceeding to the next step.
- Place a saute pan or wok (recommended) over medium high heat. Add the vegetable oil and once a light haze begins to form over the pan or wok, add the garlic, ginger, and most of the scallions – Reserving some for garnish. Stir the garlic, ginger, and scallions in the oil for 30 – 45 seconds before adding Tommy’s Seasoned Vegetable Medley.
- Stir fry the vegetables by stirring or tossing them vigorously every 15 – 30 seconds over medium high heat. Continue to stir fry the vegetables for approximately 5 minutes before removing them from the heat. Transfer the vegetables and tofu to a serving dish and garnish with the remaining scallions. Spoon the reduced marinade over the tofu as an added bonus!
- Serve immediately with freshly steamed Jasmine rice.